Sunday, May 14, 2006

A messy room on a rainy day.

I'm sitting in the middle of a very messy room, mine, contemplating the next step of cleaning it. I've already dragged everything out of my closet, packed away the winter clothes, thrown away the dead running shoes, and reorganized the remaining items. It's sort of funny how much my wardrobe needs have changed since I (a) started riding my bike everywhere and (b) stopped working at Walter Reed. I don't wear "nice" clothes anymore. My uniform used to be a neat Italian skirt, a black top, and a scarf. Now it's jeans (the loose ones that I can bike in, not the tight Saturday night ones) and a tank top. Maybe a necklace if I think of it. I only miss my dressier clothes a little bit. As in, it might be nice to have non-casual Fridays.

I've been working on this mess on and off since I got up this morning. I took a break to go to church, and then I did a track workout. And sometime during the afternoon I got to talk to Scott and my mom. My mom is in the car with Dad and Fred, in the early stages of a 10-hour drive from Kansas to Minnesota. They had gone down on Friday to see Margo race in collegiate nationals. She had really strong races on both Saturday and Sunday... except she got a flat tire right at the end of Saturday's race, and she had a pretty bad crash on the last lap of Sunday's crit. Bad enough that she had to go to the ER for her road rash. I feel so bad that she wasn't able to complete either one; my parents said she probably would have finished in the top 10, which is SO cool. I'm definitely proud of her for being a competitor!

But apart from church and my phone calls, I really haven't talked to anyone today. It's good though. I need to get my room organized - there have been piles on the floor for months and months and months now. And the next 5 weekends are going to be super fun, but not super restful. I feel like it's a little day of meditation before summer sets in. I get to sit on my floor, lotus-style, listen to the rain fall and Elsa sneeze (she's exceptionally sneezy today, which is strange and pretty cute), and sift through papers - last summer's calendar, recipes, bank statements, birthday cards, lots of memories of what I've been up to. I'm pretty bad at organizing this stuff. I mean, I let it pile up for so long before doing anything about it, and then when I DO sit down to do something about it, I end up just blogging about it.

Right. I'll get back to work.

No comments: