Monday, April 17, 2006

Easter Weekend

A quick recap...

Lauriol Plaza after work on Friday was great. Good company, good sangria, AND we got to sit right next to the tortilla-making machine. Darn cool. I went to the Good Friday service after that - my first in a few years. It's a somber affair, but it felt good to go. I rounded out the night at Delafield; Scott and I put ingredients into the bread machine so that we could have fresh bread for breakfast and played Scrabble.

My father's daughter, I got up early on Saturday for coffee and some reading. Saturday morning might be my favorite time of the week. I spent the afternoon running errands and doing chores and then met Scott down at the National Gallery to see the Dada exhibit. We only got through a few galleries before it closed, but I'm not quite interested enough to go back. First I want to see the Housaki show at the Sackler. The gallery closed at 5, and it was absolutely gorgeous outside, so we laid down on the Mall and worked on the crossword puzzle for a little while.

We went climbing later on, but we arrived late and the gym closes early on Saturdays, so I didn't get to do much. I did buy a pair of climbing shoes for myself so that I won't have to rent them anymore! They're nice and tight and barely comfortable. After pointe shoes and cleats, though, I can't imagine what other damage they can inflict on my feet. A trip to DQ, a meandering drive home listening to Johnny Cash on WETA, a collapse into bed.



On Sunday, I had breakfast with my sis, and then we went to the 10:30 Easter service. We got to sing all of my favorite Easter hymns, and it was so nice to see the church full of flowers after being stripped bare on Friday. Such an uplifting service. BRDM practice that afternoon went well, but I should have worn sunscreen. Am definitely feeling the effects today!


An interesting tidbit from the Writer's Almanac:
The word "Easter" comes from an ancient pagan goddess worshipped by Anglo Saxons named Eostre. According to legend, Eostre once saved a bird whose wings had frozen during the winter by turning the bird into a rabbit. Because the rabbit had once been a bird, it could still lay eggs, and that rabbit became our Easter Bunny.



Also, I'm thinking of volunteering for Habitat for Humanity. The next orientation meeting isn't until May 11th, so I won't be able to start for a little while. But I think it would be fun.

No comments: