Saturday, September 29, 2007

DC week nearing its end

I'll admit that I wasn't completely excited about my trip to DC before I came out. A week spent working long hours (away from Scott) didn't seem too appealing. But it's turned out to be pretty wonderful. I arrived last Saturday and spend the weekend with my aunt and uncle. I hadn't had a chance to say good-bye to them before I left in August, so it was good to spend some time with them during this trip. I got to practice with Pi on Sunday afternoon, crashed at Jess's house Sunday night, and got to work nice and early on Monday morning.

It's pretty amazing how much more productive it is to work face-to-face with someone than from a place three time zones away. Damon and I can do good work together from our respective coasts, but it's just not the same as being able to walk into his office to figure something out, ask a question, and make decisions. I haven't even left the city, and I'm already planning my next trip out here, for the end of October (when our project launches).

I've had time for a little bit of fun. On Tuesday, I had dinner at Pizza Paradiso with Paul P., Paul G., Jay and Christina. On Wednesday, I got to practice with Pi again. On Thursday, Damon and I took a break for a nice gnocchi dinner. This weekend is I'm playing in Regionals with Pi. It feels a little strange to be stepping away from work when there's so much to do, but it's great to be able to play with this team one last time. And I'll head back to the office on Sunday afternoon anyways.

Off to bed. Looking forward to a solid night's sleep after four games and a big, beautiful Mexican dinner (accompanied by a mango margarita).

No comments: