Friday, September 07, 2007

Week 1 in California has been a success. All of our shipments arrived, and we’ve been filling in the gaps – stuff from Ikea, stuff from craigslist and, of course, Ikea stuff from craigslist. We went to the Davis Farmers Market on Wednesday night and bought some beautiful tomatoes and grapes. We went running through the arboretum on the trail by the creek. Still lots of things to do, such as:
  1. Unpack my various beauty supplies (makeup, hair stuff, lotiony soapy stuff, etc.). For someone who doesn’t dress up much, it’s embarrassing how much of that I have, filling up plastic bags sitting on the bathroom floor. Soon it wil be stowed away in neat little drawers, and I’ll mostly forget about it until the next time we move…
  2. Visit the Davis DMV to apply for a Califonia driver’s license, and to transfer the Saab title from Dad to me.
  3. Visit the optometrist. As we were driving home on Monday night, after picking up an Ikea bed from a craigslist seller, Scott and I were comparing how far away we could read highway signs. He could read them 11-12 seconds before we passed under the sign, but I only had 3-4 seconds. I had no idea my vision was that bad! I think some glasses would come in handy…
  4. Set up the home office. So far, I’ve been working from the dining room table, but our office (the second bedroom) is south-facing and has much nicer light. And it will be nice to have a work space separate from my living space. I’m still trying to adjust to working from home. All the moving-in chores are definitely distracting, but hopefully I’ll get into a groove in the next few weeks.

Right now, I’m on my way to Chicago for a tournament. Definitely looking forward to hanging out with Pi this weekend and running around a bunch! Maybe we’ll even win a game or two…

No comments: