Monday, February 04, 2008

San Fran Sunday

I missed the Giants' big victory because I spent the day doing girly things in San Francisco instead.

I started off at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I got to see some Joseph Albers (my favorite artist ever), and a Rothko, and this incredible, enormous curtain made of fake flowers. Absolutely gorgeous. I went up a floor and enjoyed the photography section very much, but the top floor was the best - an exhibit called "Take Your Time" by Olafur Eliasson.
Widely heralded as one of the most important artists of his generation, Olafur Eliasson nimbly merges art, science, and natural phenomena to create extraordinary multisensory experiences.


Commerce followed culture. I bought a set of "Hula" wine glasses at the museum store, which bobble around on your table but never spill a drop. They're very fun, and they fit in our dishwasher better than our current stemmed glasses.


A little more casual shopping along Market St., and then I arrived at Mavis and Maya's house! (Remember them from the MN party photos?) I was greeted by hugs and the aroma of fresh-out-of-the-oven vegan coconut cupcakes. As soon as they were frosted, the Valentines-making began! Three plastic boxes, stuffed with craft supplies appeared, and we (about 8 of us altogether) sat around on the floor - cutting, pasting & chatting.

The train ride home was no good - it's supposed to be a quick, hour and ten minute trip. Instead, it was three and a half. I got home after 9:30 instead of 7, starving hungry after my cupcake "lunch."

Fortunately, Scott had dinner waiting on the table for me. This was possibly even more beautiful than Olafur's works. It was a wonderful day out, and a wonderful homecoming.

No comments: