Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Cooking news

Thanks, everyone, for sending in your vegetarian recipes! I slipped up today and opened up a can of chicken noodle soup for lunch - I was three bites in before I realized I shouldn't be eating it. And last weekend, I ate plenty of non-vegetarian dim sum... but it was a special occasion, so I excused myself.


Besides that, we're eating as yummily as ever. Yesterday, I bought some amaranth grain from the Davis Food Co-Op. We first learned about amaranth in December, when we toured ECHO with Scott's family in Florida. Amaranth is good for you because it's a whole grain, and it has a lot of protein. I just cooked a pot of it, in preparation for dinner tonight, and it looks a LOT like quinoa. (This makes sense; I just discovered they're both in the Amaranthaceae family.) It tastes pretty good (probably needs some oil and salt), and it's kind of fun to be eating a grain with a good backstory. It has been cultivated for the past 8,000 years, was banned by the conquistadors, and was rediscovered in the 1970's.

No comments: