Monday, April 26, 2010

Salmon (Mackerel) pea (beet green) Quiche

One of my most prized wedding gifts is a pair of cookbooks: Cooking in Minnesota and More Cooking in Minnesota, published in 1975 and 1983, respectively. They're out of print, so finding good used copies can be a real treasure hunt. And treasured they are: I grew up on these recipes.

Tonight, I opened up MCiM to page 77: Salmon Quiche. It calls for a pie crust, salmon, dill, evaporated milk and frozen peas. We substituted a potato crust, leftover mackerel from last night's dinner, fresh mint, leftover coconut milk, and some wilting beet greens. It's still in the oven, but I think it will be good!

Also, I made this orange and olive oil ice cream for Scott last night, and it was incredible. Highly recommended. I think it would be a great flavor profile for custard as well... I tried baking some of the cream mixture that wouldn't fit into the ice cream ball, but I think it wasn't eggy enough to stabilize. I'll definitely try again!

No comments: